History of Electrocoat
Research directed toward the development of a paint which could be deposited electrophoretically was begun in 1957 at the Ford Motor Company under the direction of Dr. George Brewer. This research was designed to develop a method for improving corrosion protection on hard-to-reach parts of car bodies.
在美國福特車廠George Brewer 博士的領導下，福特汽車公司從1957 年就著手研究電泳涂裝。 這個計劃是開發一種改善車身難涂部位防腐蝕性的方法。
Automobile manufacturers were well aware that rust occurred in interior recessed areas, also noting that flat exposed areas, such as roofs, were often rust free. Although dip coatings penetrated into the recessed areas, they were usually washed off by solvent vapors during baking. Thus, Dr. Brewer's group strove to create a paint in which the solvents could be removed from the film during the application process. Their work led to the development of electrocoat.
The first Ford production tank began operation on July 4, 1961 to coat wheels. The Wixom tank for auto bodies was installed in 1963. Both of these tanks used anodic electrodeposition.
福特公司的第一個用于車輪涂裝的生產槽在1961年7月4日開始運行，用來涂裝汽車車身的Wixom 槽建于1963年， 這兩個槽所用的均是陽極電泳漆。
Although market growth for electrodeposition steadily increased immediately after introduction, not until 1973, when cathodic products were introduced, did the market literally "boom". In 1965, only one car in 100 was primed with electropaint; by 1970, ten of 100 were electropainted; now, almost 90% are primed with cathodic electrocoat.